The Park Yard House
When Adam and I got word of this home we were all hands on board; right away I knew what needed to be done to get it up to par to sell. Although initially I did suggest some walls needed to come down to open up the kitchen to the family room, structurally this home had great bones to work with. The home owner was on a strict budget and wasn't comfortable with going over, therefore no walls came down and right away I knew that our focus needed to be more on the overall feel of the home and return on investment.
Reno Budget: $40k
Total Profit: 100k
So I suggested:
New Wall Paint Throughout: This home was in desperate need of a fresh take. The family / formal living rooms, entry, hallway and master bed/ensuit all have 20 ft ceilings so I wanted to pick a color that would brighten those rooms . I chose Droplets by Dunn Edwards
New Paint On All Kitchen and Bath Cabinets: To my excitement all cabinets in the home were solid oak but their stain was outdated, ideally I would have re-stain them but staining meant more work, more work meant more money, so you could imagine replacing them was not an option, so we decided to paint them instead.
New Flooring: there was 5 different types of tile in the home which really created division between spaces and didn't allow for proper flow. Also, the carpet was in rough shape and needed to be replaced; here's how I feel about carpet... Adam and I don't normally recommend any carpet to clients since as a designer I almost always use large rugs in bedrooms. However; we have found that when it comes to flipping homes using carpet instead of carrying in wood floors really helps cut cost; also we've asked buyers if it makes a difference to them and most have said they actually prefer carpet in bedrooms.
Refinish The Butchers Block: the island in this home's kitchen had a butcher's block top, the same was true for the bar located beside the family room. Both are beautiful oak and both had that same yellow/orange color to them as all the cabinets so we modernized those by giving them a darker stain. For this project, Adam and I took it upon our selves to get it done in order to cut cost. The process included, treating, sanding ( yes I can sand ), and staining both counter tops.
New Light Fixtures: We changed out most light fixtures in the home but the one that stood out most was that chandelier in the formal foyer. We swapped out the old one with with a new Restoration Hardware one that is sure to wow buyers as they enter the home. ( By the you guys, I found the RH chandelier for a steal $150! If you have already singed up for our news letter then you know where I found it! if you haven't signed up yet do so to find out where I do a lot of my treasure hunting)
Design: For this project we kept true to the traditional feel so used colors and furniture that felt natural to the home.
Chandelier Restoration Hardware: 1930s ASTOR CRYSTALCOLLECTION
As for the chandelier in the formal dining room, once again to keep cost down we decided to go ahead and paint the existing one. I posted color options on my Insta-Story and per everyone's poll vote I went ahead with Rust-Oleum's Satin Bronze Metallic Spray Paint and Primer